Veterans Education Benefits

Paying for College

Stock Photo by Sean Locke

There are a number of resources available to you to help pay for your college expenses. Many are listed below.

VA Educational Benefits

One of the first things you will want to do is apply for your VA education benefit. The VA certifying officials are located in the Veterans Education Benefits Office and they are a great resource to guide you through the complex process of receiving your benefits – from answering questions about the various education benefits, the application and certification process, and advocating on your behalf with the VA. If your education benefits are going to be delayed, the Veterans Education Benefits staff will work with you to avoid late fees or registration holds and provide options for financial support during the delay.

As a Veteran you may also qualify for additional tuition assistance through one of the state waiver programs. If eligible, these state waivers can supplement your VA education benefits. Even if you have exhausted your VA benefits you may still qualify for a state tuition waiver of up to 50% resident tuition.

Review the information on the Benefits tab to get started and learn about all the benefit programs available to you.

Financial Aid

In addition to utilizing your VA Education Benefits, you will also want to apply for financial aid through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA will determine your eligibility for all federal, state and institutional funding. More information about completing the FAFSA, the Husky Promise Program, student loans, and important deadlines can be found at the Office of Student Financial Aid’s website.

Scholarships for Military Veterans and Families

For more information regarding scholarship available to you, please review Scholarships for Military and Families.

Other Assistance

Short Term Emergency Loans
If you find yourself in a situation where there is a time lag between your VA benefits being applied and/or your financial aid is pending, you can go online to your UW account and appply for a Short Term Emergency Loan (STL) under the Personal Services tab. Information about the STL can be found at the Office of Student Financial Aid’s website.

Tutorial Assistance Program
Tutorial Assistance is available if you are receiving VA educational assistance (except REAP) at the half-time or more rate and have a deficiency in a subject making tutoring necessary. If you have questions about this program, please contact the VA at 888-442-4551.